Long, slow marinating in garlicky yogurt tenderizes, moistens and adds deep flavor, so you end up with skinless grilled chicken that’s as delicious as it is nutritionally correct.
Serve with soft pita or Arab flatbread and fresh yogurt.
Course: Barbeque, Cuisine: Afghanistan, Servings: 4, Prep Time: 15 h, Cook Time: 8 min
- 2 lg garlic cloves
- 1/2 ts Salt
- 2 c whole-milk yogurt plain
- 1 3 to 4 tablespoons lemon juice and pulp
- 1/2 ts black pepper cracked
- 2 lg chicken breasts whole, about 2 pounds
- Put the salt in a wide, shallow non-reactive bowl with the garlic and mash them together until you have paste. Add yogurt, lemon and pepper.
- Skin the chicken breasts, remove all visible fat and separate the halves. Bend each backward to break the bones so the pieces win lie flat. Add to the yogurt and turn so all surfaces are well-coated.
- Cover the bowl tightly and refrigerate. Allow to marinate at least overnight, up to a day and a half. Turn when you think of it.
- To cook, remove breasts from marinade and wipe off all but a thin film. Broil or grill about 6 inches from the heat for 6 to 8 minutes a side, or until thoroughly cooked. Meat will brown somewhat but should not char. Serve at once.